Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
San Diego, California
Up to $310,000 (plus bonuses)
CM Life Science have partnered with a start-up Biotech based in California who are sponsored by leading biopharmaceuticals.
We are developing a global information exchange platform to transform how drug innovators and health regulators interact to bring safe and effective medicines to patients faster and more efficiently.
- Advising the CEO on strategic planning and business development.
- Assist the CEO in the successful growth of the organisation, including capital raising strategies
- Responsible for working with the CEO and Board of Directors (BOD) to develop and execute the financial strategy and operations that support the Company’s business objectives and plans.
- Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry experience and must take on the role of a full partner and advisor to the CEO
- Able to take a prominent voice in investor relations and communications to the Board
- Possess the skills to communicate the company’s story to investors
- A track record of originating and closing equity deals, and should have a list of potential financing sources that are willing to take their call
- Experience with VC firms, or raising priced equity rounds as needed
- Experience in pre-IPO
- Interaction with international regulatory authorities i.e. FDA, EMEA, MHRA
- Reports directly to the CEO
- Interacts frequently with members of the senior leadership team
- Board of Directors
- Existing and clients globally
- As a business partner to the CEO and senior leadership team, the CFO will assess organizational performance against both the prior year results, the annual budget, and the company’s long-term strategy
- Ability to maintain healthy and positive relationships with institutional investors, investment banks and equity analysts is essential, including the ability to build a market for the company stock post-IPO.
- Polished, hands-on, decisive team player/builder who will take responsibility for the development of a well-integrated financial organization
- Develops tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations
- Oversees long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the company’s strategic plans
- Advise the CEO on business development and strategic planning
- Assist in raising additional capital at appropriate valuations to enable the company to meet sales, growth, and market share objectives.
- Reviews and approves board packages, quarterly and annual shareholder reports
- Ensures maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures for the company
- Ensures timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting to the company’s CEO and leadership team
- Ensures GAAP, legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions
- Represents the company to business partners, analysts, investors, including financial institutions and auditors
- Managing all short and long-term strategic financial objectives of the company, supporting the executive team with vital financial information and operational analytics, and driving a culture of accountability in managing the business.
- Assist the CEO in the successful growth of the organization, including capital raising strategies
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or business administration. MBA a plus
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is strongly preferred
- 15+ years of finance experience required, of which at least 10+ years are of senior financial leadership experience in the biotech industry, or significant banking and investor experience in biotech/biopharmaceutical
- 3+ years as CFO with strong investor-relations, finance-based analytical skills, and experience in strategic planning
- Biotech, Life Science, or Drug Development industry experience required
- IPO/S-1, M&A or start up exit experience within the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry is strongly preferred
Apply for this job